By Jacob Abbott
Alexander the Great is a part of Makers of background, a nineteenth century biography sequence by way of brothers Jacob and John S.C. Abbott. Reprinted by means of Canon Press, those biographies were edited and taken updated for readers twelve and up. not just are those variants given classic variety paperback covers, yet in addition they comprise introductions that designate the place those women and men healthy into the timeline of heritage.
Read Online or Download Alexander the Great: Makers of History PDF
Similar ancient books
The Hellenistic monarchies arose from the cave in of Alexander´s empire, and represented new sorts of rule. This research demonstrates how the Hellenistic ruler provided himself and his family members in photo, textual content and on authentic events. particularly the illustration of the Hellenistic royal couple and the position of the queen at court docket are tested at the foundation of the Ptolemaic dynasty.
A background of Celtic tradition in Britain from its origins to its transformation less than the Romans and Saxons. The publication describes the increase and unfold of the Celts and their arrival within the British Isles round the eighth century BC. Chapters are dedicated to literature and paintings, associations and faith, and punctuate the ancient narrative, delivering insights into the Celtic lifestyle.
By means of Chakraberty, ChandraPublished 1923Topics medication, Ayurvedic
- Material Connections in the Ancient Mediterranean: Mobility, Materiality and Identity
- Die Römischen Kaiser / Liber De Caesaribus: Lateinisch - Deutsch (Sammlung Tusculum) (German Edition)
- Ancient Egyptian sea power and the origin of maritime forces [Foundations of International Thinking on Sea Power, no. 1]
- Armies and enemies of ancient Egypt and Assyria : Egyptian, Nubian, Asiatic, Libyan, Hittite, Sea Peoples, Assyrian, Aramean (Syrian), Hebrew, Urartian, Median, Elamite, Babylonian, Scythian, 3200 BC to 612 BC
- A Companion to Sport and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
- Exegesis and Spiritual Pedagogy in Maximus the Confessor: An Investigation of the Quaestiones Ad Thalassium (ND Christianity & Judaism Anitqui)
Extra resources for Alexander the Great: Makers of History
Some of these writings were treatises on philosophy, others were romantic histories, narrating the exploits of the heroes of those days—of course, with much exaggeration and embellishment. There were also some poems, still more romantic than the histories, though generally on the same themes. The greatest productions of this kind were the writings of Homer, an ancient poet who lived and wrote four or five hundred years before Alexander's day. The young Alexander was greatly delighted with Homer's tales.
The motive which induced Pausanias to murder Philip in this manner was never fully ascertained. There were various opinions about it. One was, that it was an act of private revenge, occasioned by some neglect or injury which Pausanias had received from Philip. Others thought that the murder was instigated by a party in the states of Greece, who were hostile to Philip, and unwilling that he should command the allied armies that were about to penetrate into Asia. Demosthenes, the celebrated orator, was Philip's great enemy among the Greeks.
A spirited horse knows immediately when any one approaches him in a timid or cautious manner. He appears to look with contempt on such a master, and to determine not to submit to him. On the contrary, horses seem to love to yield obedience to man, when the individual who exacts the obedience possesses those qualities of coolness and courage which their instincts enable them to appreciate. ALEXANDER AND BUCEPHALUS At any rate, Bucephalus was calmed and subdued by the presence of Alexander. He allowed himself to be caressed.